Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Summer 2015 Health & Fitness Apps

It's been awhile since I've updated the applications I use and I've come to appreciate apps that work well together and with my existing equipment.


  1. FitBit - Remains my primary distance tracker and calorie burner since I already own a FitBit One, though I was given an UP24 but I don't really see that as a good alternative for me based on reviews. Some of the new dashboard widgets on the website makes it easier to see how you're doing over not just a week but over a 28 day period. They continue to make great strides in their UI and usability so this is always a top recommendation for me. For instance their calorie tracker application now supports scan which now makes MyFitnessPal completely useless for me, but hey, one less app to manage and install, huzzah!
  2. Basis Peak - I own one of their Basic Peak continuous heart rate monitors that I use to track my heart condition. I'm sure you must ask why don't you then get the Fitbit+HR, well because it's not nearly as accurate and this will also send me calendar, email, phone, and text updates like an Apple Watch and just flat out this is the one my cardiologist makes me wear and so far it works wonderfully though it's difficult to get it to sync with just any old running tracker app, which brings us to Runkeeper.
  3. Runkeeper - This is the only running/walking application I've been able to get my Basis Peak Heart Rate Monitor and it will allow Spotify to play music doing your run. It shows some of the basic data following the end of an activity and you can buy premium for $40 a year to get all the extra data points but truthfully I don't need them - most  of the data points I need can be pulled from FitBit (Weight & Distance) or from Basis (Heart Rate). The only thing that might be cool is to track your pace but you can manually enter that data into Fitbit's website with a Custom Tracker if you really wanted to.
  4. Digifit iCardio - If you are looking to more actively see how long you spend in each heart rate zone (think Orange Theory Fitness) then this app is more appropriate for you than RunKeeper. It will require that you have some kind of Bluetooth heart rate monitor but it doesn't seem to be very fussy about the ones it will accept to this is a good option for a heart rate targeted workout as opposed to speed or distance like Runkeeper. It's UI is a little more basic but it assigns a color to various heart rate zones based on age and weight. It also links with Fitbit.
  5. Impetus - Interval Timer, create your own personalized interval timer to run in the background of your workouts to let you know when to change up the activity or intensity.
  6. HealthyOut - This app is great if you still want to go out with your friends and family but you don't want to totally tank your weight-loss goal.
  7. Spotify - Pre-build favorite playlists to shuffle. Better than Pandora because you can choose exactly which songs just not the order unless you pay to be a premium member. But hey stock a list with your absolute favorite jams without the hassle of downloading and transferring. Maybe check out some of my pre-built playlists ;)
  8. Achievemint - An application that awards points for food logged, weigh ins, and activities as synced by other applications. Mine is set to sync from FitBit. It took me a few months but I did get the $50 Gift Card. Totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment