Sunday, May 26, 2013

Rowing & Blisters

Okay so first things first, I super enjoyed rowing today. I rowed for a half hour and burned 253 calories and rowed 5000 meters which translates to 3.10686 miles! Talk about a work out that packs one heck of a punch. I was rowing 25 strokes per minute! One Livestrong article says a person who rows an hour every day can lose a pound each week! It's a wonderful cardio workout that increases endurance when performed at low resistance over a long period such as a half hour like I did today. One of the unique things about a rowing machine is that is uses all the muscles in the body a single workout allowing for even muscle toning. When I say it works everything I mean everything! You work your legs by doing the initial drive, the arms get worked out as pull the bar from beginning to your abdomen, the entire drive involves your back and abs. If you want a breakdown on the exact muscle groups used can check out this Concept2 Article and click on the graphics on the middle of the page. As a note the Concept2 is the rowing machine I used today at my Gym which I totally love! That page also compare the exercise level with other workout machines which shows that an indoor rower is the most practical workout machine.

Active.com suggests the following routines for runners hoping to increase endurance through rowing:  4 500 meter repeats resting for 2 minutes between each 500 meters, Interval sprinting which 8 45 seconds of hard rowing followed by 15 seconds of recovery rowing between each of the 45 seconds, 10 minutes nonstop increasing intensity as you go up, 4 5 minute sessions where each 1 minute segment is broken down by number of strokes per minute - the first minute should be 18 strokes per minute, the second minute 22 strokes per minute, the third 26 strokes per minute, the fourth 22 strokes per minute, and the fifth 26 strokes per minute - this should be done continuously with no breaks. The website also breaks down proper form so check it out and the Concept2 article to get an idea of how you should be doing this to get the maximum benefit.

I will say though, WEAR workout gloves. I have 2 blisters on each hand from the machine but I have to admit it was totally worth it. You can can get a pair of cheap ones to start with for $8.77 from Walmart. I imagine the ones from Sports Authority are better but they encroach on $30 a pair so save that for if you get really into it or use multiple machines where the grip might blister your hands (like weights!)

All this being said, I left the gym soaked in my own sweat and completely satisfied and content. Some days I really love my  workout. I think I will replace Water Aerobics with Rowing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment