Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Making Running a Game

 Okay so as you can see I did a little better yesterday than I did today. Some things that may have influenced my pace time tonight is that I have been awake since 6:00AM and my leg muscles are still a little sore from yesterday. I totally understand now why they say don't run two days in a row for beginners (not sure if that's true for experienced runners or not, anybody want to weigh in on that?) my legs just aren't used to the abuse anymore and needless to say I'm going to be walking stiff tomorrow if at all, LESSON LEARNED. Some things that worked in my favor was the temperature and running at night - simulating the conditions of the race which is great for practicing. I also used a specifically designed playlist with a little game in mind. Since I don't have a way to actively watch my pace at this juncture I decided to use music as my way of determining when to jog and when to walk fast. I would walk fast through all the verses and run/jog through every chorus. Looking at my graph below you can see that I started off with slow songs to warm up or rather songs with non repeating choruses and saved the hard sells for the middle. I hit a bit of a wall towards the end there because my legs were just throbbing but I tried my best to continue to walk/jog according to the game I set for myself.


I ran using mostly high intensity country songs, in case you're interested this was the playlist I ran with today. Days Go By is a great song for the above mentioned game because the chorus just keeps freaking repeating I thought it would NEVER end. I might change my last song it took too long to get to the meat of the song while fast begins a little slow. Just as a personal critique.

  1. Kerosene - Miranda Lambert
  2. Sin Wagon - Dixie Chicks
  3. Be My Baby Tonight - John Michael Montgomery
  4. Days Go By - Keith Urban
  5. Sold - John Michael Montgomery

2 comments:

  1. awesome! i know my running plan has you walking the day after a run. or doing cross training, or strength and core :-) or having a rest day. the only exception is we run friday, and run saturday right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still working out what works out best for me and arranging a proper schedule outside my 2 30 minute run days and my Saturday distance run. I have found I like rowing for cross training but I am too intimidated by weight training since I don't know how to use them - doing some research first.

    ReplyDelete