Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Stability Ball Bouncing - Miracle?



Okay, so part of what I've been doing to help increase my fitness level is bouncing on a stability ball instead of sitting still. Healthy Living has said you can burn about 50 calories in an hour bouncing on a ball instead of sitting. Think about this math for a moment, if you work an 8 hour day and you bounce through all of it, that is 400 calories. That is about what you would burn doing 45 minutes of Zumba. Yes it takes 8 hours but what else are you doing besides sitting anyway? It's an easy thing to add into your daily routine with little effort.

Am I saying this should replace your exercise? No. Good cardiac exercise and strength training is key. This is more like supplemental exercise. Besides, it will help you remember to get up and walk which is even better! I'm sure you're wondering if you'll look silly, yeah you probably will, but you'll be smiling like a goon while doing it because who can be mad while you're sitting on a trampoline?

I got mine from a friend who purchased it from Walmart and I don't find it distracting. Like with walking in place while working (standing desk hack - lift your monitors, keyboard, and mouse with stackable shoe racks) over time you re-learn skills and get better to accommodate for the perpetual motion. I've been using mine off and on for about a month now and continuously the last 10 days and no drawbacks as yet that I can see. :)

As to the effectiveness, I ran my heart rate monitor to track my calories burned over an hour and while Healthy Living quoted 50 calories, I found in an hour I actually burned 125 calories. I might be bouncing more vigorously or It might be because of my heart condition but either way I feel like 50 calories for an hour is a conservative estimate.

Sources
http://www.livestrong.com/article/529589-does-bouncing-on-a-yoga-ball-help-you-to-lose-weight/
http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/bouncing-yoga-ball-lose-weight-10647.html
http://woman.thenest.com/bouncing-yoga-ball-lose-weight-5553.html
http://www.thehappyrock.com/2007/06/02/strengthen-your-abs-and-burn-calories-with-no-effort/

No comments:

Post a Comment