Wednesday, June 5, 2013

30 Minute Run & Pacing Realization

Okay so as you can see at least for 2 miles I'm devastatingly close to my 14 average pace - the question remains is whether I can do that for 4 miles and surprisingly I think I can. I ran with a very specific pacing method today to try and prove a point to myself. At the beginning there's no point to push the envelope and run out of steam to seal the deal at the end no matter how good you feel 10 minutes in you won't feel the same 20 minutes in and especially when its minutes to go. I was on a treadmill due to the very in-climate rainstorms we've had daily now this week. I walked at speed of 3.5 for 2 minutes and then jogged at the speed of 5 for 2 minutes. When I was jogging yes it was hard and I definitely counted down every half minute until it was over to get to the walking part because I used walking as a reward for jogging. My splits per mile were this: 1st mile average pace 14'21" 2nd mile 13"28. Yes that's right folks I finished strong and NOT dead on my feet. You can see I stayed fairly consistent doing my best not to budge from the designated pace I set for myself.


All this being said, if you look at Monday's post you know I pushed it harder at the beginning because I was aiming for fastest mile and fastest 1k but my average pace was about 10 seconds longer overall and I had to finish considerably slower than I had started but I suppose I had something to prove to myself on Monday. So walking more and running less actually improved my average pace.

The only problem I'm finding is when I'm not on a treadmill how am I supposed to gauge how fast I'm going consistently? I mean I can click the power button on mu iPod Nano and it gives me my current pace and I know for a speed of 3.5 that's 17 minutes per mile and a speed of 5 is 10 minutes per mile but as a matter of consistency all the way through 2 minutes that is not a feasible option so my trail running will never be as good as my treadmill running - what a bummer. At least it would be without the Nike+ SportWatch GPS Powered by TomTom (I want it in black and blue by the way) Or you can pull more specific stats from the Nike+ site.

2 comments:

  1. actually... 3 should be 20 minutes a mile and 5 should be 12... unless the "speed" on your treadmill doesn't correlate to mph lol. :-D

    good job though! looks like you are definitely getting there! congrats!

    btw, have you tried runkeeper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the speed is set for miles/hour to be honest. I definitely feel like I'm going to hit my week 4 training goal but I won't be too upset with myself if I'm only off a little bit. I use Windows Phone 8 so RunKeeper is not an option for me. I use my FitBit for Walking and I use my Nike+ Fitness app on my iPod for Running between the two I have a system that is tailored 100% to what I need.

    ReplyDelete